Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Sales Joke of the Day (October 16) Fishing With The Boss.

A salesman calls home to his wife and says, "Honey, I have been asked to go fishing at a big lake up in Canada with my boss and several of his friends.  We'll be gone for a week.  This is a great opportunity for me to get that promotion I've been wanting.  So could you please pack me enough clothes for a wee and set out my rod and tackle box? We're leaving from the office, so I will swing by the house to pick up my things.  Oh!  Please pack my new blue silk pajamas."


The salesman's wife this sounds a little fishy, but being a good wife, she does exactly what her husband asked.  The following weekend, the salesman comes home a little tired but otherwise looking good.  The wife welcomes him home and asks, "Did you catch many fish?"


The salesman replies, "Yes! Lots of walleye, some bluegill and a few pike.  But why didn't you pack my new silk pajamas like I asked you to?"


"Oh, I did," she replies.  "I packed them in your tackle box."


Moral of the story.   True sales professionals know that in order to succeed at sales, telling the truth is important.  If you lie to a customer, you will eventually get caught.  No matter how shiny the reward, sales professionals don't use canned lines and they don't let their credibility get hooked by temptation.   They know losing their credibility will cause their career to sink.


"Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes."    -    Don Marquis