Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sales Joke of the Day (January 26) Cold Calling.

The salesman phoned up a local law firm and asked to speak with Mr. Hanson, his ex-wife's lawyer.


"I'm sorry," said the law firm's receptionist, "but Mr. Hanson died last night."


Ten minutes later the phone rang again.  The same voice asked:  "Can I speak to Mr. Hanson, my ex-wife's lawyer?"


"I'm afraid that's not possible," said the receptionist.  "As I told you a few minutes ago, Mr. Hanson died last night."


Ten minutes later the phone rang again.  The same voice said:  "I'd like to speak with Mr. Hanson, my ex-wife's lawyer."


"Look," said the receptionist, "I've told you twice already, Mr. Hanson is dead.  Why do you keep calling?   Don't you understand?"


"Sure I understand," replied the salesman.  "I just enjoy hearing you saying it over and over again."


Moral of the story.  True sales professionals know that in order to be successful at sales, persistence is a requirement;  persistence and lots of cold calling.  The true art of selling gets painted when one determines just how many times one tries to call in, before getting a sale, or getting the brush off.


"Every calling is great when greatly pursued."      -  Oliver Wendell Holmes