Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sales Joke of the Day (September 17) Negotiations.

A salesman and his had just settled down to sleep an hour before.  It was a tough day at work for the salesman.

Wife:     Oh, come on.

Salesman:     Leave me alone!

Wife:     It won't take long.

Salesman:     I won't be able to sleep afterward.

Wife:     I can't sleep without it.

Salesman:     Why do you think of things like this in the middle of the night?

Wife:     Because I'm hot!

Salesman:     You get hot at the darnedest times.

Wife:     If you loved me, I wouldn't have to beg you.

Salesman:     If you loved me, you would be more considerate.

Wife:     You don't love me anymore.

Salesman:    Yes I do, but let's forget it for tonight.

Wife:     (Sob-Sob)

Salesman:     All right.  I'll do it.

Wife:     What's the matter?  Need a flashlight?

Salesman:     I can't find it.

Wife:     For goodness sake!   Feel for it!

Salesman:     There!   Are you satisfied?

Wife:     Oh, yes, honey.

Salesman:     Is it down far enough?

Wife:     Oh, that's fine.

Salesman:     Now go to sleep.  The next time it's your turn to get up and turn the thermostat down.

Moral of the story.   True sales professionals know that in order to be successful in sales you need to do well with negotiations.  In any negotiation two parties start out with different needs and different expectations.   But with persistent concessions and enough compromises from all parties involved, forward progress continues and the relationship stays intact.   Remember, making assumptions too early into "Negotiations" can only lead to wrong conclusions and lengthen the process.

"Let us move from the era of confrontation to the era of negotiation."      -     Richard Nixon

"No."      -    Pat Nixon