Friday, April 18, 2014

Sales Joke of the Day (April 18) The Last Name.

The sales manager of a large office asked a new employee to come into his office. "What is your name?" was the first thing the sales manager asked.


"John," the new guy replied.


The manager scowled. "Look, I don't know what kind of a namby-pamby place you worked at before, but I don't call anyone by their first name! It breeds familiarity and that leads to a breakdown in authority" he said. "I refer to my employees by their last name only - Smith, Jones, Baker - that's all. Now that we got that straight, what is your last name?"


The new guy sighed and said, "Darling. My name is John Darling."


The sales manager said, "Okay, John, the next thing I want to tell you..."


Moral of the story.  True sales professionals know that in order to succeed at sales you need to master the use of your prospect's first name.   Everyone pays more attention when their first name is used in conversation and it can serve to build rapport.   Overuse a prospect's first name however and you will lose credibility.  So proceed with caution and respect.


"The only thing I want to leave my children is an honorable name."  -  Theodore Roosevelt