Saturday, April 26, 2014

Sales Joke of the Day (April 26) The Standby Flight.

A salesman was on standby at the airport.  Finally his name was called to take the last seat on the plane.  His lucky streak continued when he saw who his seatmate was for the three hour flight.  She was a stunning woman whose reading glasses did not veil her beauty and whose tailored business suit did not succeed in concealing her voluptuous figure.  The salesman tried to engage her in polite conversation about the weather but only received a stare for his efforts.

Unfortunately, she kept her attention on the reports she was reading.  When the flight attendant offered drinks, she took a cola and he a vodka.  Somewhat later, in arranging her papers, a bump in the flight caused her to spill her drink on the salesman's lap.

Greatly flustered, she profusely apologized, and then added, "I'm sorry if I appeared rude earlier.  You see I'm totally caught up in my work and I never have any time for socializing.  Anyway, I'm very particular about men."

The salesman instinctively responded with a clarification question when he asked, "Well, what exactly do you look for?"

"There are three types of men that attract me," she responded.  "I like French men for one, they are so sensual and romantic.  I'm also attracted to Presidential men, men of power who command respect.  And last, I also like doctors because they know so much about a woman's body."

"By the way," she added, "my name is Sylvia Williams, what's yours?"

The salesman quickly thought and said, "Jacques Bush, MD., Madame.   At your service."

Moral of the story.   True sales professionals know that flying stand-by can be very frustrating.  But don't let it get to you.   Realize that on every flight you take, there could be an opportunity to do some business in the seat right next to you.   In cramped quarters, a little attention to the person next to you, and the ability to listen can go a long way.

"One of the greatest joys known to man is to take a flight into ignorance in search of knowledge."     -  Robert Staughton Lynd