Friday, April 04, 2014

Sales Joke of the Day (April 4) The Brain Operation.

A salesman in upstate New York, wanted to marry a woman from the old country, but the old country had a law that you have to be from the old country to marry someone from there or at least "fit in" with the general population.  Since he was an intelligent salesperson, an old country tribunal ruled that he would have to have at least 50% of his brain removed to "fit in."


So the salesman goes to a surgeon and says "Doc, I just have to marry this woman.  I love her so much.  Can you remove 50% of my brain so I can fit in?"


After much persuasion, three probing questions, two trial closes and a, what if scenario later, the doctor finally relents by saying, "Well, it's risky but okay."


So into the operating room they go for the partial brain removal procedure.   Later, when the salesman wakes up, the doctor comes in and says, "We are very, very, sorry.  But we accidentally removed 85% of your brain instead of just 50%.


The salesman looks up and says, "I object your honor!"


Moral of the story.   Since the beginning of time, sales professionals have always known that sales is something you "do" while law is just something you "practice."   In law, objections are just "raised" but in sales objections are actually "handled."  Quite frankly if there were more salesman in government, rather than lawyers, we'd be looking to Washington for ROI instead of just asking "Why? Why? Why?"


Why doesn't America send more salesmen to Washington?    I don't know.  Could it be because sales professionals actually ask questions and solve problems ?


So if a lawyer, ever tries to hold their degree, their status or their reputation as a lawyer over you.   Tell them.......


"I could have been a lawyer.....   But I didn't want to risk the operation!"


"It is not what a lawyer tells me I may do; but what humanity, reason, and justice tell me I ought to do."    -  Edmund Burke