Monday, March 10, 2014

Sales Joke of the Day (March 10) I Tried It Once.

A sales representative stops at a small manufacturing plant in the Midwest.  He presents a box of cigars to the manager as a gift.  "No thanks," says the plant manager.  "I tried smoking a cigar once and I didn't like it."


The sales rep shows his display case and then, hoping to clinch the sale, offers to take the manager out for drinks.  "No thanks," says the plant manager.  "I tried alcohol once and I didn't like it."


Then the salesman glances out the office window and sees a golf course.  "I'm hoping you play golf," says the salesman.  "I'd like to invite you to be a guest at my club."


"No thanks," says the plant manager.  "I tried golf once and I didn't like it."


Just then a young man enters the office.   "Let me introduce my son, Bill," says the plant manager.


"Let me guess, Bill"  the salesman interjects.   "Are you by any chance an only child?"


Moral of the story.  True sales professionals know that when it comes to closing, you have to try several different approaches before giving up.    If you ask for the sale just once, get a no and move on; you'll never be successful.  Be persistent.  Try it once and you just might like it.


"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."   -  Thomas A. Edison